- This event has passed.
1-day Storytelling Workshop with Simon Oats – Melbourne 27 October
October 27, 2017 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm AEDT
Learn the art of storytelling in this 1-day workshop for non-profits
Non-profit storytelling – The Bad News & The Good
Surely you’ve heard the buzz about storytelling? How stories are the way to engage donors and supporters.
But what stories are you actually telling? And how are you telling them? Chances are you’re getting it very wrong.
Kendal Haven, author of Story Smart and Story Proof believes that a third of stories told by non-profits are actually counter productive – actually worse than doing nothing.
Think about the last time you heard a bad story. You were probably thinking ‘What has this got to do with me?” or perhaps “aaagghh heard this before” or ‘what the? I’m so confused” or a common one heard by donors “this is so manipulative…they must think I’m stupid..all they want is my money!”.
All of this leads to ‘unsubscribe’, unfollow or Return to Sender.
So there’s the bad news. But there is good news!
There’s a map to guide you through the perilous terrain of purposeful storytelling, based on cutting edge Neuroscience
In this 1 day workshop, Simon Oats – master Storyteller, performer and teacher – will show you how to tell stories that:
- Are relevant and compelling for your target audience
- Focus on the specific concrete details that make it unique and emotional
- Deliver the right message through the action of the story – not through preachy moralising
- Get the “point of view character” right so the audience will empathise
- Prompt your audience to feel the right emotion to motivate desired action
- Gives your audience a “foe” to direct their action towards
Investment: $450.00 (plus GST & Booking Fee)
Hosted by NAB